Monday, January 29, 2007

Lunch with the "boys' club"

If you're ever looking for an off-the-wall way to lighten up your day, go eat in the school cafeteria with a bunch of second graders. I dropped by my son's school today to surprise him for lunch. (I figure I'd better do it now. One of these days, he won't think it's so cool.) I got in the lunch line and asked a couple of the kids in his class what they recommended. One enthusiastically offered support for the corn dogs, the other suggested I get the hamburger. I opted for the burger and when I bit into it, it reminded me of the hamburgers we had when I was in 2nd grade. In fact, I think it was the same burger.

Anyway, I sat down at my boy's table (always afraid I'm gonna break that little kid-sized chair), surrounded by several of his friends who apparently think I'm a cool mom. One little boy, Daniel, is always delightfully animated when telling a story and today was no different, but it quickly turned into a 2nd-grade episode of "Seinfeld." He pointed out how "that table over there is the BOYS' CLUB" and "the other end of our table is the GIRLS' CLUB." What broke me up was the fact that when he said "boys' club" and "girls' club," he actually made hugely exaggerated quotation marks in the air with his fingers. What a hoot.

2nd-graders are still relatively innocent, yet trying in a lot of ways to act grown up. They're sweet and trusting. They seem to like adults. Wish I could've taken a snapshot of today so I could pull it out and look at it when they're in the throes of surly teenagerhood.

No comments: