Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Where's the ice?


OK, I've held my tongue long enough.


One thing we've always been able to count on as Southerners is a lot of ice in our cold drinks. But ever since I moved back home from Pittsburgh in 2004 I've noticed what can only be described as a Yankee trend-- that cold drinks apparently don't need anything more than a scattering of ice cubes across the top of the glass. Used to be, you'd go to the drive-up, get your cold drink and it would be absolutely packed full of ice. My Yankee husband disagrees with this practice; he says you don't get all the Co-Cola or sweet tea you paid for. I say you need that fully-packed cup of ice to keep your drink properly chilled on a hot day-- or on any day, for that matter. Also if your sweet tea was just made and still warm, all that ice will help cool it off.


The only reason this came boiling out of me today is that I went to the Wendy's drive-up today and specifically told them "no lemon and LOTS OF ICE." What did I get? A few measly cubes and a warm cup of sweet tea. Blecchh!


I say this is a Yankee trend because I noticed back in 1978 during my first foray to New York City that they put hardly any ice into the drinks. In Canada, I noticed they don't put any ice at all. So I figure the farther North you go, the less ice you get. That's why I looked forward to getting back to North Carolina after four years of tepid drinks in Pittsburgh.


But now I find that so many Yankees have transplanted themselves here, the little-or-no-ice trend is apparently here to stay.


Hey, South Carolina! Y'all got any ice down there?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I expect enough ice to bang, not clink against the side of the cup. anything less is unacceptable.